Spicy Split Pea Soup
Here is the recipe for our family favorite spicy split pea soup. This easy recipe can be enjoyed as an appetizer or main course.
- 1 onion (diced)
- 8 carrots (chopped)
- 2-3 carrots (whole)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 large potatoes
- 6 cups veggie Broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 16 ounce package of green split peas (Use more if you like a very thick soup) Also make sure to rinse your split peas in a metal strainer prior to using.
- 1.5 tsp sea salt (this is an estimate, always salt to taste)
- 1 tsp Fresh ground pepper (More to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp-tbsp red pepper flakes (Depending on your taste)
Saute the onion and chopped carrots in oil over a medium high heat for 5 minutes (I add 1/2 tsp of sea salt at this point)
Add in the garlic and saute for another minute
Add in the potatoes and saute for about 3-5 minutes
Add in the veggie broth, water, ground pepper and about 1/2 tsp of sea salt
Bring everything to a boil
Add in the split peas and stir
Add in the whole carrots
Bring everything to a simmer for about 45-60 minutes. If the soup seems too thick, you can always add in extra broth at the end and bring back to a simmer. I prefer a thicker soup, but its delicious either way!
Add more sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
Stir in red pepper flakes (Optional)
Top with more red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper