Today I share my family’s favorite spinach and basil pesto recipe. Perfect for pasta, soups, and sandwiches!
Pesto is one of my favorite things on this earth. I absolutely love the flavor, texture, and beautiful color. Ever since I was a child, I could not get enough of it. I loved covering my pasta with as much as I was allowed. My mom would try to limit me to a couple tablespoons, but I would beg for more.
Now that I’m an adult, and I can make my own pesto, I make it about once a week. My kids and husband love it. This spinach and basil pesto recipe is super easy, so it’s a great one to involve the kids. I love to use a mix of greens including spinach, arugula, local greens, and of course fresh basil. I find my kids love this version best. The flavors aren’t overpowering, yet you still get the full pesto effect.
We love to eat this spinach and basil pesto over pasta, spread on toasts, as a pizza sauce or as a dip. I’ve also added it into my veggie soup right before serving! It’s so fragrant and adds a delicious flavor to everything.
Spinach and Basil Pesto
- 2 cups packed spinach
- 1/2 cup loosely packed arugula
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil (Remove any large stems)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (parmesan cheese for a vegetarian version)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Put all ingredients into the food processor.
- Pulse on high for about 3-5 minutes (scraping the sides down as needed)
- Serve over pasta, use as a spread or a dip and enjoy!
What do you think? Isn’t this spinach and basil pesto recipe easy? Let me know if you try it!